Wednesday, February 8, 2017

HC: Ancient Spanish vs Carthaginians

For tonight’s game I decided to try out my new Ancient Spanish force. I still need another 2-4 units of Scutarii so have reinforced the force with some Celteberian warband allies whilst I paint up the extra Scutarii units.

We have increased to 400 points, which in reality is only another two units but makes our divisions a bit stronger.

I decided to go for a strong centre and depending on how Kent deployed planned to refuse one or the other flank.

Left Wing
1x Light Cav
1x Med Cav
2x Med Warband
1x Skirmishers- javelins (Small units)

Centre
1x General's Scutarii Med Inf
3x Scutarii Med  Inf
2x Med Warband
1x Skirmishers

Right Wing
1x Light Cav
1x Med Cav
2x Med Warband
1x Skirmishers- javelins (Small units)
Kent ran his Carthaginians in 3 commands.


Left Wing
2x Light Cav
1x Med Cav
1x Gallic Warband

Centre  
1x Veteran Libyan Heavy Inf
1x Libyan Heavy Inf
1x Spanish Scutarii Med Inf
1x Gallic Warband
2x Skirmishers

Right Wing
1x Veteran Libyan Heavy Inf
1x Libyan Heavy Inf
2x Italian Medium Infantry
1x  Elephant


Spanish left
 Spanish centre
 Carthaginian left
 Carthaginian centre
 Carthaginian right

 Turn 1: The Carthaginain centre advances.
 Kent throws the Carthaginian medium cavalry into a reckless turn 1 charge and they are destroyed. So far we've not had much luck with our medium cavalry.

 On my turn my medium cavalry charges the Gauls but retreats, disordering the units behind. We decided that disorder stays till the end of the next round.

 Turn 2: In the centre the Carthaginians crash into my Spanish Scutarii and Celteberian allies.

While on my right we avoid contact with the Carthaginians.

After several combats Kent absolutely destroys my centre-we made a bit of a mistake here and also ran the sweeping charge combats in the same turn.

My medium cavalry and Gauls turn to face the threat where the centre once was.

Kent wheels to face my units.

But on the right flank the Carthaginian's Gallic allies drive my own Celteberians from the field, crushing my second division.

Yikes a comprehensive Carthaginian victory. We made a few mistakes but they didn't really change the outcome. The Spanish were well and truly crushed!



7 comments:

  1. Nice set up, and those Carthaginian heavies look pretty heavy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I much prefer Carthaginians in DBA where the army is absolute pants. Under Hail Caesar it is pretty effective (I may need to rename it as the International Army of Awesome), still my own fault for allowing my centre to get charged and have a couple of plans to rectify that.

    Still, is par for he course for new units on table to gt absolutely owned in our experience. I am looking forward to the rematch next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good game! I like your games in Hail Caesar thus far, and also appreciate seeing your gameplay style. But I do have a question. You were using points in your game but does the Carthaginian player have one too many Libyan Heavy Infantrymen ? I thought they were limited to 25% of the total non-skirmish infantry units? Or perhaps you are playing an unrestricted points game? Or maybe Im wrong.. ? :P Regardless, it was your game and however you play it looks like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dustin

      We've not looked too closely at the max for the Libyan spear- in fact it may have slipped my notice entirely. We simply made a spreadsheet up for Kent prior to the game and the max of Libyan infantry slipped through our rather non-existent accounting department- will rectify it for next week. Good catch and should work in my favour!

      Regards

      Craig

      Delete
    2. Hey there!

      No problem! I mean, if you're playing historically there is no real such thing as a fair game. But for competitive purposes I just feel all your medium and light warbands aren't going to do a whole lot against Heavy Infantry that can sustain a lot longer!
      Looking forward to next game!

      Delete
    3. I appreciate the catch actually. It was like being hit by a freight train the other day and should make for a more even contest this week.

      Delete
    4. Yeah I Looked it up. One in four of the non skirmisher infantry in the army can be liByan spearmen. Kent only had 5 units that are not liByan spearmen, so legally he could only field one unit of liByan spearmen!

      He would need at least 6 infantry units to field just two liByan spearmen units.. Carthage Also only has a 25% Cavalry allowance for total units in the army, and half of those just be light cav! Seems this part was right but might be affected if units are less.

      Anyways looking forward to next game. I'm slowly putting my Achaemenid Persians together for Hail Caesar.. fighting Hoplite's is going to be tough but I have a mass Cavalry advantage. =)

      Delete